Logan Airport Capital Projects

Was Piedmont also in B? They were another of the airlines I frequented while growing up.

I would love to see a gate by gate breakdown of Logan over time, to refresh my memory on all the changes and moves over the years.
Thinking back I remember flying America West several times out of the B37 & B38 gates.
ATA was also located in terminal B.

Trump Shuttle was the former Eastern shuttle, probably why that was in Terminal A, and I think it took a while until the ex-Trump Shuttle operation was merged into US Airways proper. Delta's shuttle I believe was originally Pan Am's competitor to Eastern's.
Good point - I stand somewhat corrected :)

The latest discussion in this thread is a reminder of just how much consolidation and merging there's been in the US airline industry the last 25-30 years.

Norwest + Delta = Delta
America West + US Airways = USAirways
TWA + American = American
USAirways + American = American
Continental + United = United
AirTran + Southwest = Southwest
Virgin America + Alaska = Alaska
Midwest + Frontier = Frontier

I remember the names of the airlines being posted on the ceiling of the Terminal B garage. So many carriers that no longer exist.

The latest discussion in this thread is a reminder of just how much consolidation and merging there's been in the US airline industry the last 25-30 years.

Norwest + Delta = Delta
America West + US Airways = USAirways
TWA + American = American
USAirways + American = American
Continental + United = United
AirTran + Southwest = Southwest
Virgin America + Alaska = Alaska
Midwest + Frontier = Frontier
Although, if you trace the corporate lineages, it tells a more interesting story.

For example, ultimately America West, and it's management under Doug Parker, is the unlikely winner in that list. In 2005 it bought a bankrupt US Airways, and while that brand survived, it was headquartered and run out of America West's Phoenix HQ by AW's management, and US Airways flew under the AW Cactus callsign. The 2012 merger with bankrupt AA was notionally a merger of equals, but the old America West / US Airways management team moved into Dallas and took control of AA. Doug Parker was CEO of AAL until 2022 - not bad for a regional airline out of Phoenix.

Similarly, Continental/ United. Despite being a merger of equals, it was the smaller carrier's (Continental) leadership team who took over. The combined airline actually operates today under Continental's operating certificate, which changed names the same day they terminated United's.

Back