Dick’s House of Sports | Prudential Center | Back Bay

When I heard that Lord & Taylor was closing, I had hoped that Nordstrom would lease the building for a Boston store. Alas, it was not to be.

Too bad the city's zoning doesn't require a minimum height for specific parcels such as this one.
They never have. I remember when Jordan Marsh proposed its ne building on Washington St. It was 2 stories! The city persuaded them to add a third story which is just a facade.

Dick and his rock wall are underwhelming for this area, of which sees visitors from all over the world. The Jordan's Furniture stores at the Maine Mall and in New Haven hold more wow and fun with their massive kids' rope gyms (and stunning light shows). Yes, furniture stores.

ITRopesCourse.jpg

18503746_20200716_Jordans0261.jpg

Too bad the city's zoning doesn't require a minimum height for specific parcels such as this one.

So you think Boston Properties should have been forced to sit on a completely vacant building? Would that really be better for Boylston Street? This is a placeholder until demand picks up and lending conditions improve.

So you think Boston Properties should have been forced to sit on a completely vacant building? Would that really be better for Boylston Street? This is a placeholder until demand picks up and lending conditions improve.
Or sell it to someone who was willing and able to develop a taller building.

If it's any consolation, the city sets a kinda low maximum height.... sigh

It looks like city zoning sets a max height of 120ft for this site, but can anyone tell for sure? I'm not sure I'm reading the exceptions to the exceptions to the exceptions correctly.

I would love to join the hate, but I just went to my local House of Sport and picked up some On Running shoes for me and my wife and some kicks for one of my kids. Great selection and nice staff, too. Would this be better in Burlington? Maybe, but if the zoning is what it is, then this is great for not only the locals, but also the tourists.

Highly doubtful that entity exists.
Not a requirement for a supertall, but a zoning minimum height of 10 stories. At least that height would fit the surrounding buildings, and not look like the sunken hole it does now.

This is part of the Prudential PDA. Not sure height is allowed due to the agreement with the owners of the Lenox. I think BPX finally maxed out all the height they could under the PDA when they built that lump next to the Hynes.

Highly doubtful that entity exists.
Those entities exist but why would one developer who is well capitalized and has the luxury of time, BP, sell such a prime site in a weak market to a competitor? Especially because BP controls much of the class A office in Backbay.

I agree BP signed a 20 year lease or something and hopes to land bank this for a future building when demand dictates.

100%

I personally think the store is awesome, and there are a ton of people in there that seem like they are enjoying the experience.

Not a requirement for a supertall, but a zoning minimum height of 10 stories. At least that height would fit the surrounding buildings, and not look like the sunken hole it does now.

No one expects or wants a super tall here. It was always going to be something of the scale of the Mandarin. So what do you put on those ten floors(besides two of retail) in a market where there’s still a lot of uncertainty, significant inventory in all sectors and high interest rates?

If the city said to BXP that you can only improve this property if you build to ten floors those execs would have laughed in the faces of the BPDA and they would have put giant chains and padlocks on the doors and let it rot.

No one expects or wants a super tall here. It was always going to be something of the scale of the Mandarin. So what do you put on those ten floors(besides two of retail) in a market where there’s still a lot of uncertainty, significant inventory in all sectors and high interest rates?

If the city said to BXP that you can only improve this property if you build to ten floors those execs would have laughed in the faces of the BPDA and they would have put giant chains and padlocks on the doors and let it rot.
You're right. I'm just wishful thinking. Eventually it will be redeveloped, hopefully in the next building cycle.

No one expects or wants a super tall here. It was always going to be something of the scale of the Mandarin.

The plot is huge enough that there is room for 2 buildings. The shorter Mandarin-scaled one would obviously front Boylston. Behind that I don't see why ~500' wouldn't be doable by the inner plaza. That half of the parcel should be considered "high spine."

The plot is huge enough that there is room for 2 buildings. The shorter Mandarin-scaled one would obviously front Boylston. Behind that I don't see why ~500' wouldn't be doable by the inner plaza. That half of the parcel should be considered "high spine."
Would shadow law apply to Copley? I feel like that could be a major constraint but otherwise agreed. It would nice to have something break up the height different between the existing residential buildings and the Pru, like 600' range.

Good points. Contact the owners, make a bid, and go build us something supertall!

If you guys haven't been here yet, you should. They did a great job renovating. I think it serves a big need too, for athletic gear and clothing right in the center of Boston.

Back