General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

oh how about some south shore dinkies?
Greenbush dinky to Quincy. Those rich folks, and Weymouth, get their quiet train with no wires and higher frequencies in exchange for having a 2 seat ride. Could also actually have downtown stations in those towns with a short quiet FLIRT platform

Greenbush dinky to Quincy. Those rich folks, and Weymouth, get their quiet train with no wires and higher frequencies in exchange for having a 2 seat ride. Could also actually have downtown stations in those towns with a short quiet FLIRT platform
A dinky could go back and forth between Greenbush and Plymouth and leave the OC track for frequent service to Brockton and beyond. TM believes that with a few minor changes, 6tph would be possible with electrification. The dinky could run every 15 min. It might require minor additional passing track. Maybe add a connector to the RL platforms with an escalator and elevator

A dinky could go back and forth between Greenbush and Plymouth and leave the OC track for frequent service to Brockton and beyond. TM believes that with a few minor changes, 6tph would be possible with electrification. The dinky could run every 15 min. It might require minor additional passing track. Maybe add a connector to the RL platforms with an escalator and elevator
A dinky almost-loop around the south shore could mean a potential good RL connection at Braintree even before anything that frequent on the Middleboro-Lakeville branch. Could also do a split service on the Kingston-Plymouth Wye if it's a relatively frequent dinky.

Can't imagine Greenbush riders would be happy about that. One seat is a big deal, esp given that the destination of any riders is at least South Station.

Can't imagine Greenbush riders would be happy about that. One seat is a big deal, esp given that the destination of any riders is at least South Station.
Nor should Greenbush (or Kingston/Plymouth) riders be happy if the state were to propose this. A quick search for commuter rail ridership by line found these February 14th figures (the latest I could find) for the three Old Colony lines on recovery.transitmatter.org:

Middleborough/Lakeville 8352
Kingston (Plymouth) 5738
Greenbush 4610

I can't imagine why anyone would seriously suggest substituting a dinky, two-seat ride for any of these lines unless you intentional want to drive down ridership. That applies to any of the existing commuter rail lines.

About the only possible use I can think of for a dinky service is for a Buzzards Bay - Middleborough shuttle. Thanks to the crappy routing of South Coast Rail Phase I, the only way Wareham and Buzzards Bay will see any service is via a crappy two-seat service using a shuttle.

So walking from the Braintree rail platform to the RL platforms is about the same distance that passengers walk from the SS platform to the RL exit, and many riders take the RL anyway. They would trade RR frequencies, which otherwise won't happen for 30 years. It also gives FR and NB a fighting chance for useful service, as well as helping the thousands of Brocktonians taking the bus to Mattapan

Nor should Greenbush (or Kingston/Plymouth) riders be happy if the state were to propose this. A quick search for commuter rail ridership by line found these February 14th figures (the latest I could find) for the three Old Colony lines on recovery.transitmatter.org:

Middleborough/Lakeville 8352
Kingston (Plymouth) 5738
Greenbush 4610

I can't imagine why anyone would seriously suggest substituting a dinky, two-seat ride for any of these lines unless you intentional want to drive down ridership. That applies to any of the existing commuter rail lines.

About the only possible use I can think of for a dinky service is for a Buzzards Bay - Middleborough shuttle. Thanks to the crappy routing of South Coast Rail Phase I, the only way Wareham and Buzzards Bay will see any service is via a crappy two-seat service using a shuttle.
And I m sorry you lack imagination

So walking from the Braintree rail platform to the RL platforms is about the same distance that passengers walk from the SS platform to the RL exit, and many riders take the RL anyway. They would trade RR frequencies, which otherwise won't happen for 30 years. It also gives FR and NB a fighting chance for useful service, as well as helping the thousands of Brocktonians taking the bus to Mattapan
Additional Braintree service probably shouldn't come at the expense of (admittedly limited) through service, but if it would allow increased frequencies on all the OC branches I don't see why it shouldn't happen. I think some infrasturcture changes might be needed to make the transfer at Braintree easier, as well as the construction of at least one more platform, but those changes would probably be a lot easier/cheaper than double-tracking through Quincy which would require at least a full-rebuilt of Quincy Center and some land taking.

IMG_3583.jpeg

Paywalled article from the Globe this morning:

4 years since the MBTA slashed service during the COVID-19 pandemic, the T still has not restored full pre-pandemic service.

Unlike all other cities worldwide that restored or kept running pre-pandemic service years and years ago, transit riders in Boston have gone almost half of an entire decade on reduced transit service, despite the state's climate goals, and rising temperatures & sea levels.

Even in North America, NYC restored full bus and subway service in 2021, and Los Angeles by 2022. WMATA in 2023 exceeded and surpassed pre-COVID service with additional service frequency systemwide.

The T blames the lack of vehicles, speed, operators, and funding for the continuing issues. The T also refused to say when would the agency restore full pre-COVID service levels on the system, only mentioning the ongoing progress and timeline for removing slow zones and hiring

The Globe has posted the article's text on the MBTA subreddit:

Also, there's a huge callout for the Green Line D Branch. 1/4th fewer trips from North Station to Kenmore in the Green Line central subway tunnel than pre-COVID. Despite the two stations being on the same line, the branching of the E branch at Copley makes this pandemic-era 25% service cut/reduction extra severe, due to the forced transfers at Gov't for service between N Sta. and Kenmore.

1716389839187.png

Last edited:
On the topic of dinkies (what a silly word): there's no way that Greenbush or Kingston become full-time shuttle services. (IMO)

What I could maybe see is supplemental short-turns, probably terminating at Braintree, with timed cross-platform transfers to Middleboro trains. I once sketched out a timetable a Greenbush <> Braintree <> Kingston dinky filled in the gaps between through-running services, with transfers at Braintree. In theory, you could supplement Middleboro trains in the same way. The advantage of the "boomerang" approach is that you don't have to block the tracks at (for example) Braintree while you turn the train; your "inbound Greenbush supplemental" turns into your "outbound Kingston supplemental".

And as for forced transfers between CR and Red at Braintree: the transfer isn't particularly close (1200' from mid-platform to mid-platform, as I reckon it, down and level and then up a level, probably a 4-5 minute walk), and the CR platform is only accessible via a grade crossing, which gets dicier the more frequently you're running trains. (And unfortunately, the "ideal" boomerang service pattern, between the two lower-ridership lines to Greenbush and Kingston, would have to use the track that the grade crossing traverses. The Middleboro Line, at the very least, avoids the crossing.)

On the topic of dinkies (what a silly word): there's no way that Greenbush or Kingston become full-time shuttle services. (IMO)

What I could maybe see is supplemental short-turns, probably terminating at Braintree, with timed cross-platform transfers to Middleboro trains. I once sketched out a timetable a Greenbush <> Braintree <> Kingston dinky filled in the gaps between through-running services, with transfers at Braintree. In theory, you could supplement Middleboro trains in the same way. The advantage of the "boomerang" approach is that you don't have to block the tracks at (for example) Braintree while you turn the train; your "inbound Greenbush supplemental" turns into your "outbound Kingston supplemental".

And as for forced transfers between CR and Red at Braintree: the transfer isn't particularly close (1200' from mid-platform to mid-platform, as I reckon it, down and level and then up a level, probably a 4-5 minute walk), and the CR platform is only accessible via a grade crossing, which gets dicier the more frequently you're running trains. (And unfortunately, the "ideal" boomerang service pattern, between the two lower-ridership lines to Greenbush and Kingston, would have to use the track that the grade crossing traverses. The Middleboro Line, at the very least, avoids the crossing.)
I'm suggesting that the two platforms, which are 400ft apart, be connected with a tunnel

As someone who lives very close to the Greenbush station, I would certainly entertain a shuttle if the service was every 30 or 60 minutes using clock facing schedules. As it is right now, it's just not very convenient especially returning from Boston in the evening with over 2-hour headways. In most situations where I need to be in Boston for an evening event, I drive to Quincy Adams and park then take the Red Line, even though I'm literally just a few steps away from the Greenbush station. At least I know that I can get the Red Line back to Quincy Adams at reasonable headways from 6pm through 11pm.

Below is the current Greenbush scheduled from South Station after 5pm. Just four measly trains. BIG gap between 6:23pm and 8:55pm then 8:55 until 11:20. That's over 2.5 hours evening headway on a WEEK day.

1716430181602.png

Last edited:
The T is still yet to undo all of those Summer 2023 bus service cuts for the new Summer 2024 service changes on June 16th.

All they're gonna do is add an extra bus on the 111 and the SL1, and shift over the school trips to cover vacation shifts.

No sign of restoring at EVEN 2022 service levels anytime soon. 😩😩.

There should be frequency increases on the 39, 66, 77, etc, to get back to at least 2022 service levels 1 full year after the service cuts in mid-2023 and the new contract. Yet there is still no sign of not even 2022 bus service coming back.

Eng promised to "restore service" for riders, and while Eng restored Blue, Red, and Orange Line service back to 2022 levels, bus riders haven't gotten any MEANINGFUL service RESTORATION 1 full YEAR after a new contract.

1716488647973.png
1716488883103.png

Last edited:
Eng unfortunately also has to oversee implementation of Bus Network Redesign. So while staffing has started to pick up (not to pre-pandemic levels) that is going towards the implementation of phase I BNRD. Wether this is the best use of resources is a very valid criticism that I’d agree with, but there’s a political consideration around further delaying BNRD

Last edited:
Eng unfortunately also has to oversee implementation of Bus Network Redesign. So while staffing has started to pick up (not to pre-pandemic levels) that is going towards the implementation of phase I BNRD. Wether this is the best use of resources is a very valid criticism that I’d agree with, but there’s a political consideration around further delaying BNRD
Regular riders aren't going to remember the BNR by the time the T gets to making those changes. I already know a couple people at my bus stop in East Somerville who are shocked that they're cutting the 86 at Harvard and will be forced to transfer to get to Harvard Allston. All they want is a better 86, like the kind of 86 that we had before the pandemic, none of this BNR stuff.

As someone who lives very close to the Greenbush station, I would certainly entertain a shuttle if the service was every 30 or 60 minutes using clock facing schedules. As it is right now, it's just not very convenient especially returning from Boston in the evening with over 2-hour headways. In most situations where I need to be in Boston for an evening event, I drive to Quincy Adams and park then take the Red Line, even though I'm literally just a few steps away from the Greenbush station. At least I know that I can get the Red Line back to Quincy Adams at reasonable headways from 6pm through 11pm.

Below is the current Greenbush scheduled from South Station after 5pm. Just four measly trains. BIG gap between 6:23pm and 8:55pm then 8:55 until 11:20. That's over 2.5 hours evening headway on a WEEK day.

View attachment 50745
I would suggest 15 min peak frequency, 30 minutes off-peak, if dinkied

In the last board meeting, the CIP was discussed (timestamp 1:56:10).

It was mentioned during the meeting that there was a suggestion for the MBTA to drop the Bus Network Redesign from the 2025 - 2029 CIP, to cut costs. The T has a 93 million shortfall next year, and at the rate that restoring bus service would go, the T would essentially be finally putting the new bus hires into service at the turn of the calendar year, and then 3 - 6 months later, hit the uncertain reality that the rest of BNRD is not funded, and be forced to cut back on service.
The T is currently forecasting that it can narrowly balance its budget in the coming fiscal year, but the agency is forecasting a deficit of nearly $700 million in the following year, which begins on July 1, 2025. Kane said it may make sense to drop a planned bus network redesign from this year’s capital investment plan to reduce costs going forward.

1716567878996.png

Last edited:

In the last board meeting, the CIP was discussed (timestamp 1:56:10).

It was mentioned during the meeting that there was a suggestion for the MBTA to drop the Bus Network Redesign from the 2025 - 2029 CIP, to cut costs. The T has a 93 million shortfall next year, and at the rate that restoring bus service would go, the T would essentially be finally putting the new bus hires into service at tht turn of the calendar year, and then 3 - 6 months later, hit the uncertain reality that the rest of BNRD is not funded, and be forced to cut back on service.

View attachment 50790
I worry the T is doing a little “hands over the ears shouting la la la” about this. When asked about the signage including a clock with 15 minutes and how inflexible that seems, the T’s only comment has been “we are committed to 15 minute frequencies on these routes”.

I worry the T is doing a little “hands over the ears shouting la la la” about this. When asked about the signage including a clock with 15 minutes and how inflexible that seems, the T’s only comment has been “we are committed to 15 minute frequencies on these routes”.
I'm so sad that 15 minute is our "best" effort here. That would be so laughable in so many countries around the world - from Mexico to Malta - and metros - Denver, Chicago, SF.

*SIGH*

Back